This Spicy Flavoursome cake is moist and delicious perfect for autumn with a cup of tea or a latte.
150 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
250 g wholemeal self-raising flour
2 tsp. baking powder
150 g light muscovado sugar
60 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
125 g carrots, grated
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp. milk
250 g low-fat soft cheese, at room temperature
2 tsp. clear honey
1 tsp. lemon juice
Chopped walnuts, to decorate
- Lightly grease the cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Turn into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for about 50 minutes until the cake is well risen, firm to the touch, and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack, peel off the lining paper, and leave to cool completely.
- Make the topping: mix together the cheese, honey, and lemon juice. Spread on top of the carrot cake and sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Store the cake in the fridge until ready to serve.
Looking for something sweet but healthier than Sugar try Honey.